Al-Shabaka: The Palestinian Policy Network, is an independent, non-partisan, and non-profit organization whose mission is to educate and foster public debate on Palestinian human rights and self-determination within the framework of international law. Al-Shabaka, which means "The Network" in Arabic, is a think tank without borders or walls that aims to:
- Draw upon the vast knowledge and experience of the Palestinian people, whether under occupation, in exile, or in Israel, so as to engage the broadest spectrum of perspectives in debate on policy and strategy.
- Communicate ideas and strategies on resolving the Palestinian-Israeli conflict to Palestinian communities as well as to Arab and other policy communities and interested parties worldwide.
Al-Shabaka provides a platform for diverse Palestinian viewpoints while upholding the principles of self-determination, freedom, justice, and equality. Our analysts work individually or in groups to produce well-documented analysis that addresses strategic issues in key areas, including politics, economics, refugees, and civil society.
We work to achieve our vision by:
- Producing and disseminating analysis to key audiences
- Advocating strategies for Palestinian rights to policymakers
- Working alongside partners and allies to shape discourse and policy in favor of Palestinian rights
Al-Shabaka is seeking a consultant (individual or team) to facilitate and produce our forthcoming strategic plan. We operate on three-year strategic cycles, with our next cycle running from 2023 through 2025. The consultant will lead the organization in the strategic planning process for this forthcoming cycle, culminating in a finalized strategic plan document that reflects our mission-aligned aims, objectives, and activities for 2023-2025.
The selected consultant will facilitate the strategic planning process, with engagement from the staff, board, and key stakeholders. As our team is entirely remote-based across different continents, the majority of the planning process will take place online, apart from one in-person 3-4 day retreat (location TBD, COVID restrictions permitting).
Throughout the process, the consultant will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Review relevant institutional documents and conduct appropriate analysis of past strategic plans, current activities, SWOT, etc.
- Facilitate group brainstorming discussions with staff and board
- Engage in one-on-one discussions with the team and board, as needed
- Gather and analyze input from relevant stakeholders
- Co-design the retreat with senior staff and facilitate workshops throughout the retreat
- Produce a finalized 2023-2025 strategic plan
We are a justice-based organization that values equity, participation, and self-determination. Accordingly, our approach to strategic planning should reflect these values, with an inclusive process that confronts power and utilizes participatory and collaborative methods.
We anticipate that the strategic planning process will take place between May - September 2022, with delivery of the final strategic plan by September 30th, 2022.
- Proposed work plan for the strategic planning process
- A finalized three-year strategic plan that reflects Al-Shabaka’s mission, values, position within the movement for Palestinian liberation, objectives, and programs, among other information.
- Presentation of the finalized plan to staff and board
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Palestinian context and movement for Palestinian liberation
- Minimum 5-10 years of previous strategic planning experience, particularly with justice-based groups and/or independent think tanks
- Expertise with various analytical tools, stakeholder engagement methods, and workshop facilitation
- Prior experience utilizing participatory methodologies, power analysis, and liberatory frameworks in facilitation processes
- Strong project management skills
- Fluency in English required (written and spoken); fluency in Arabic is an asset
Interested parties should submit the following materials to [email protected] by 9 March 2022, with “Strategic Planning Consultant” in the subject line:
- Cover letter and CV
- Suggested methodology and work plan
- Proposed budget (project or hourly/day rates with assumptions). Please note that retreat costs will be covered separately and need not be included in the budget proposal.
- 3 references