Vacancy: Member & Communications Coordinator
Al-Shabaka: The Palestinian Policy Network is the first independent and transnational Palestinian think tank. We are a non-partisan, US-registered non-profit organization, whose mission is to convene a multidisciplinary, global network of Palestinian analysts to produce critical policy analysis and collectively imagine a new policymaking paradigm for Palestine and Palestinians worldwide.
Al-Shabaka was founded in 2009. We are a remote-based think tank with a network of over 200 policy analysts and a core staff of seven team members based in the Middle East, North Africa, Europe, and the United States.
About the Position
Al-Shabaka is seeking a Member & Communications Coordinator. This position is part-time (20 hours/week) with hopes to grow into a full-time position in the coming years, pending available resources. The Coordinator is a new position at Al-Shabaka, and will be focused on stewarding our policy network of 200+ members and supporting our online presence.
The Member & Communications Coordinator will be responsible for the following functions:
- Coordinate trainings, briefings, and other engagement activities for members
- Convene Al-Shabaka’s member committee on biannual basis, as well as monthly member discussion group
- Manage Al-Shabaka’s Policy Member Database, monitoring the work and outreach of members to ensure its accuracy
- Input/update member information in Al-Shabaka’s CRM
- Assist with processing new members
- Serve as an institutional contact point for members
- Produce a quarterly member newsletter
- Maintain a roster of potential members
- Contribute to Al-Shabaka’s daily social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Produce graphics and reels for social media
- Update Al-Shabaka’s homepage on weekly basis
- Track references and citations of Al-Shabaka’s work in the media and public forums
- Support the Communications Specialist in other related activities
- A commitment to Al-Shabaka’s ethos of centering Palestinian voices, perspectives, and expertise in the struggle for liberation.
- A solid grasp of the Palestine question, current and historical.
- Strong networking and communication skills. We see this position as a vital element of our wider goal to foster community and movement-building within our policy network.
- Interest in being a part of a close-knit, remote-based team, balancing independent work with collaborative involvement.
- Attention to detail while managing multiple projects.
- An excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Previous experience working in a related organization - e.g. a Middle-East focused policy/research institute, Palestine-centered advocacy organization, or other relevant social justice work.
- An established network of relationships with individuals and organizations working on Palestine.
- Familiarity with Al-Shabaka’s policy network
- Lived experience in Palestine or the Arab region.
- Knowledge of Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Canva
- Experience working with CRMs, particularly CiviCRM
This is a non-exempt, salaried, part-time, and remote-based position. The candidate may be based anywhere that falls within time zones between the US East Coast and the Middle East. Occasional travel for work-related events may be required.
The starting gross annual salary for this position is $22,500 (non-negotiable).
In addition to a base salary, Al-Shabaka offers its staff flexible scheduling, unlimited paid leave, and a subsidy program for health and technology expenses. Efforts to expand institutional support for staff are ongoing, based on available resources.
To apply, please email a cover letter, and CV, as well as a list of 3 reference contacts to [email protected], with “Member & Comms Coordinator” in the subject line. Your cover letter should highlight any relevant experience, personal or professional, that lends itself to our priorities of managing networks, coordination, movement building, and communications. Applications should be submitted in English.
Al-Shabaka is an equal-opportunity and affirmative action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, or sexual orientation. Applicants of Palestinian origin are strongly encouraged to apply.
Deadline to apply is February 26. Interviews will be conducted in early/mid March with an anticipated start date in April/May.